Sunday 24 April 2011

Education in Glass - a paradox.

To be perfectly honest, I have lost faith in formal crafts education. 1st year students learn in one semester at University what takes two years at Further education colleges, possibly more. I know. I've seen both and been in both environments. I will however add that the practical aspect of glass education at college prepares students well for advancement at University, but at the colleges the creative nature of craft and applied arts is stifled in order to achieve the practical outcomes that are perceived as necessary to achieve in the craft once qualified.

University Arts education provides for a much wider creative space for growth and when in the context of applied arts we still see new ideas and concepts developing.

I regularly receive enquiries about short courses, particulalry from people who have had some sort of exposure but need to develop a new area, because they are devloping their creative ideas further. I personally think that the idea of modular qualifications in certain areas of education is ideal and by allowing the student to pick and choose modules, some essential for further development and others for perfecting a particular skill will open doors for mature students and enable them to gain qualifications at a speed that is comfortable and affordable to them. I believe in tasting whats out there, so a lot of what I teach falls in line with what I was taught, and tweaked here and there with what I found made the experience easier.

So here goes - I shall be offering very small modules in glass craft education that will enable crafters to move in new directions or even possibly develop a current skill or indeed overcome problems or shortcomings in the skills they have already developed.

If youre looking for a short course, evenings, weekends or day courses, please let me know or visit our main website and craft blog here

0 comments:

Post a Comment