Saturday 5 February 2011

"Begin at the beginning" - Lewis Carroll

This is the beginning, of a new chapter in our lives. I have driven Jaye crazy, my children were already crazy and I've only made them craier and to be honest, I must be the craziest of all.

Timing was awful but in mitigation, I didnt count on the coldest and most hazardous winter to hit Scotland in 27 years. We were crazy about it though, moving house and fitting and moving into a new shop at the same time. Then the cold struck. I am simply not cut out to be refitting a shop in sub zero temperatures. The draughty shop averaged an ambient -5 while it was -11 outside. I think fate has an evil sense of humour. If the opening scenes of our personal drama were not enough, Jaye and I then had the misfortune to contract both the swine and the seasonal flu simultaneously while trying to fit our shop and unpack and settle into our new home.

But persevere we did and there is still huge scope for triumph so I'd rather be a glass half full than a glass half empty. The conditions in which we worked have been incredible, cold, draughty and then of course the ratty, moody, ill tempered remanats of the flu managed to get under our skins as well. With any other partner, I am rather confident we'd be booking a date in the divore courts by now. But not Jaye - When the dust settled, and the days came to an end, she held me in her arms and washed away the aggravation with that all important phrase - "I love you".

Our little business is not only built on bricks, mortar, hard work and financial anxiety come genius. It is also built on love, tolerance, support, sacrifice and all those things that involve human relationships.

Ballito Bay could not have started without the two of us. And the beginning has now begun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment