Saturday 5 February 2011

The first of many

While we twitter prolifically and of course use facebook as a fabulous social media source, blogging is also a great way to communicate and get the message out.

Today I was muttering at the sheer lack of passing punters when in the distance I heard a marching band. I shook my head and rubbed my ears and established that I wasnt hallucinating. Now this is early February and the Marching season is traditionally April to July, so I had to take a look. Yes the Orangemen were out and in force.

Huge hat and long trousers
I love entertainment and display and while I acknowledge that many view the Orange marches as sectarian, I have to admit that they add some colour to the otherwise grey and dismal Glasgow landscape. But the march was peaceful and the uniforms attractive. It was entertaining to see a few of the younger members in uniforms that were too large and are clearly going to take a few years to grow into.

I have no idea why they chose today to march, but the change of regular bypassers at the very least made the day interesting. No offence to my Catholic friends.

I was wondering why we dont see the Catholics march, although it has been suggested to me that they already do - at every Celtic Football club game.....now now - tolerance please!

Our shop is open to all, protestant, catholic, muslim, jew, hindu, atheist, I only ask that they wipe their feet when they walk in.

All that aside, for a city that has a rapidly declining Jewish population, I am selling more Judaica than anything else! It seems that jewish art is popular, well roll on the customers, more judaica will be finding its way onto the shelves and walls next week. And latte remains the coffee of choice.
Freezing Glasgow in February - note the bare arms!

0 comments:

Post a Comment